Synchronization works differently depending on the device:
- Android: The app must be opened but it can be in the background (you can be using a different app).
- iOS (iPhone, iPad): The app must be opened and in the foreground (it has to be the device active app).
- Desktop: The app must be opened but it can be in the background (minimized).
Automatic synchronizationWhen an activity that can generate offline data is opened in the app, that activity will always be synchronized if the device is connected. For example, when opening a wiki while online, any offline data will be synchronized. Furthermore, each activity type has an automatic synchronization process that runs regularly, usually every 10 minutes. Let's use wiki as an example. When the wiki synchronization process runs, it synchronizes all wikis that have offline data and haven't been synchronized in the last 5 minutes. This is to decrease the data usage of the app since the server might be down. This means that an activity could take up to 15 minutes to be synchronized in the worst case scenario. An example of the worst case scenario:
- Time = 0. The wiki automatic sync process runs. Nothing to sync.
- Time = 5 minutes and 1 second. The user opens a wiki with no offline data, so the synchronization is successful.
- Time = 5 minutes and a few seconds. The user generates some offline data for that wiki.
- Time = 10 minutes. The wiki automatic sync process runs again. The wiki has offline data, but it has been synchronized in less than 5 minutes (step 2), so it isn't synchronized again.
- Time = 20 minutes. The wiki automatic sync process runs again. Now the wiki is synchronized.
- Forum sync process runs. Device is online, so it is executed.
- Device goes offline.
- Wiki sync process runs. Device is offline, so it stops being executed.
- Device goes online.
- Wiki sync process is executed since it was stopped. Forum isn't executed yet because it wasn't stopped, it will be executed after 10 minutes from step 1.
Manual synchronizationWhen a user generates data offline, the app will display a message inside the activity informing the user that there is data to be synchronized. Performing a Pull To Refresh in that view will synchronize the data for that activity only (not for other activities). The activity can also be synchronized by opening the context menu in the top right and clicking "Synchronize". So if a user performs a Pull To Refresh in a certain wiki, only that wiki will be synchronized. Performing a Pull To Refresh outside of the activity (e.g. in the section) will do nothing. In App Settings > Synchronization the app will display a list of the sites stored in the app. Clicking the refresh button next to a site results in all automatic sync processes being executed immediately, so all activities with offline data that haven't been synchronized in the last 5 minutes will be synchronized.
This could be because of interruptions in your internet connection. Wait a while and try again. If you continue to have problems, contact TheSkillsDoctor Helpdesk.
Check with TheSkillsDoctor helpdesk that you are correctly enrolled.
The app requires the following permissions:
- Record audio - for uploading to your Moodle site
- Read and modify the contents of your SD card - for content to be downloaded to your SD Card for offline access.
- Network access - to be able to connect with your Moodle site and check if you are connected, and if not to switch to offline mode.
- Run at startup - to receive local notifications even when the app is running in the background.
- Prevent phone from sleeping - to receive push notifications anytime.
The Moodle app will ONLY work with Moodle sites that have been set up to allow it. Please make sure that you enter www.theskillsdoctor.com correctly in the url.
The Moodle app is available for free from Google Play and the Apple Store. See this page for more help. You can also install the app directly from your mobile device by searching for 'Moodle app'.
My course isn't working, what should I do?
Which study method is right for me?
How can I get a refund on a course purchase?
I'm interested in a course, where do I start?